It is nearly ten pm and it is still very hot here in my house. My forearms are sweating against the table. The air is perfectly still. The dogs are sprawled with their bellies exposed to the air, hoping for a breath of cool. In a little while, CR and I will retreat to the basement and what we call the summer bedroom. It is heaven to sleep there.
It has been quite hot in Colorado, and much worse elsewhere. In these dog days of summer, it is hard to remember all the things that are so great about the long hot days of July and August. Why we look forward to them all year, and in my quest to be in the moment, here are 20 things I love about summer.
1. The smell of tomato plants, hot in the sun
2. Fresh berries
3. Watermelon cut into cubes in a bowl in the fridge
4. Reading all day because it is too hot to do anything else
5. Movie dates in the air conditioning
6. The nutty brown of my forearms
8. Birds singing and singing and singing at all times of day, even in the still of the night (“Blackbirds singing…)
10. The whiskey barrel full of evening primrose and sage against the fence
11. The laughter of the girls next door playing outside all afternoon
12. The sound of sprinklers coming on
13. Hiking all day with my friends then going to drink beer and eat without guilt
14. Going to Manitou Springs and eating saltwater taffy
15. My mother’s deeply shaded backyard in Pueblo, with a tables full of family gathered beneath the trees
16. Pellegrino with ice and one key lime squeezed into it
17. Long walks in the long evening
19. The astonishing moon, rising in the east like a spaceship
20. Staying barefoot all the time
What do you love about summer?
Like this? Try these posts, too.: